- 1 Vegan Grill Recipes Are One of the Best Kept Secrets
- 2 Quinoa & Chickpea Burgers with Burger Sauce
- 3 Plantain Patties with Smoked Tofu
- 4 Peppered Tofu Steaks London Style
- 5 Grilled Bratwurst
- 6 Tandoori Tofu Skewers with mint, cucumber and yogurt sauce
- 7 Vegan Spare Ribs with BBQ glaze
- 8 Seitan Steaks with lemon & maple syrup glaze
- 9 Grilled Cheese Sandwiches with Vegan Mozzarella
- 10 Conclusion
Vegan Grill Recipes Are One of the Best Kept Secrets
Going vegan doesn’t mean that you have to miss out on grilling, cooking out and enjoying delicious bbq food on an electric grill.
Even though most people associate grilling with meats, there’s no rule that says that you have to only cook meat on your bbq.
In this article we present eight awesome vegan grilled meals that will provide you and your guests with a potpourri of mouth-watering healthy goodness – and no beef in sight!
Quinoa & Chickpea Burgers with Burger Sauce
Makes 4 burgers
Barbecuing time 10 minutes
Preparation time 30 minutes
For the patties:
½ cup (100 g) quinoa 1 tablespoon chia seeds 1 red onion 4 tablespoons olive oil 4 cremini mushrooms ½ teaspoon salt 1½ cups (250 g) cooked chickpeas 1 tablespoon soy sauce 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar 1 tablespoon maple syrup ½ cup (40 g) rolled oats 2 garlic cloves, minced ½ teaspoon ground allspice ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon.
For the burger sauce:
1 shallot 3 tablespoons finely chopped bread and butter pickles ¼ cup (55 g) vegan yogurt (see tip) 2 tablespoons ketchup 2 teaspoons agave nectar 1 pinch salt.
4 sweet potato buns 4 handfuls salad greens ¾ cup (60 g) finely chopped red cabbage.
1. Prepare the quinoa according to the instructions on the package. Then let cool.
2. Grind the chia seeds, mix with ¼ cup (60 ml) water and set aside.
3. Thinly slice the onion. Put 1 tablespoon of the olive oil into a hot frying pan and fry the onion over medium heat for 7 minutes. Dice the mushrooms and gently stir into the onion. Season with ¼ teaspoon salt and cook for another 5 minutes on low heat.
4. Coarsely chop the chickpeas in a food processor with the soy sauce, vinegar and maple syrup.
5. Finely grind the oats in a blender and transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add the garlic, quinoa, chia seed mixture, fried onions, chickpea paste and spices and knead well by hand. Season with ¼ teaspoon salt. Rest for 10 minutes, knead again and shape the mixture into four patties.
6. For the sauce, finely chop the shallot and mix with the other ingredients.
7. Brush the patties with the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil and cook over direct heat for 4 to 5 minutes each side.
8. Cut the burger buns open and warm them on their cut side over direct heat for 1 minute. Cover the bottom half with salad greens, one patty and some cabbage. Top with sauce and cover with the other half of the bun.
Plantain Patties with Smoked Tofu
Makes 4 patties
Barbecuing time 10 minutes
Preparation time 25 minutes
2 small yellow plantains (13 ounces/375 g) 3 ounces (90 g) smoked tofu ½ spring onion (green and white parts) 3 garlic cloves ½ habanero pepper ¼ cup (60 ml) plus 2 tablespoons canola oil 1½ teaspoons salt 1 teaspoon curry powder.
1 carrot Juice of 1 lime 2 tablespoons olive oil ¼ teaspoon salt 1 head endive ¼ cup (55 g) vegan yogurt ¼ cup (15 g) chopped fresh parsley.
1. Peel the plantains, cut them into large pieces and bring them to a boil in plenty of water. Cook for 5 minutes over medium heat, then drain and let cool for 10 minutes.
2. Finely dice the tofu. Finely chop the spring onion, garlic and habanero. Combine with the plantain, ¼ cup (60 ml) of the canola oil, salt and curry powder in a food processor and purée.
3. Wet your hands and shape the mixture into four patties. Brush the patties with the remaining 2 tablespoons canola oil and cook over direct heat for 4 to 5 minutes each side.
4. Grate the carrot and mix it with the lime juice, olive oil and salt. Fill the endive leaves with the mixture and top with vegan yogurt and parsley. Serve with the plantain patties.
Peppered Tofu Steaks London Style
Makes 4 steaks
Barbecuing time 15 minutes
Preparation time 10 minutes
2 garlic cloves ¼ cup (60 ml) olive oil 2 tablespoons soy sauce 2 tablespoons vegan Worcestershire sauce 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar 1 tablespoon agave nectar 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper 1 teaspoon freshly ground pink pepper 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary 14 ounces (400 g) frozen and thawed tofu
1. For the marinade, mince the garlic and mix with the remaining ingredients, except the tofu, until smooth.
2. Cut the tofu into slices 2 cm thick, add them to the marinade and leave for 4 hours in the refrigerator.
3. Oil the grill and sear the tofu steaks over direct heat for 3 to 4 minutes each side, then finish cooking them over indirect heat with the lid closed for another 3 minutes each side. Baste often with the leftover marinade.
Makes 8 sausages Barbecuing time 10 minutes Preparation time 45 minutes
1¼ cups (140 g) vital wheat gluten 1 tablespoon cornstarch 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast 2 teaspoons salt 1½ teaspoons onion powder ½ teaspoon ground ginger ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg ½ teaspoon black pepper 1 pinch ground allspice 1 garlic clove, minced 1 tablespoon vegetable oil 1 tablespoon agave nectar
EXTRAS ¼ cup (60 ml) canola oil 4 white hot dog buns 8 teaspoons prepared mustard
1. Mix together the dry ingredients, then mix in the wet ingredients with 1¼ cups (300 ml) lukewarm water, first stirring with a wooden spoon and then kneading well by hand.
2. Cut the dough into eight portions. Shape each piece by hand into a sausage and roll each one tightly in an 8-inch (20 x 20 cm) sheet of plastic wrap. Knot the ends.
3. Put the sausages in a steamer and steam them for 30 minutes. Let cool completely. Remove the plastic wrap.
4. Brush the sausages with the canola oil and grill them over direct heat for 3 to 4 minutes each side.
5. Warm the buns in the barbecue for 2 minutes, cut them open, fill each with two sausages and top with mustard.
Tandoori Tofu Skewers with mint, cucumber and yogurt sauce
Makes 4 skewers Barbecuing time 20 minutes Preparation time 5 minutes hours
FOR THE SKEWERS ¼ cup (55 g) vegan yogurt 1 large red chile pepper, stemmed (seeded for less heat) 1 garlic clove 1 teaspoon ground coriander 1 teaspoon ground turmeric 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1 teaspoon salt 1 star anise 1½ tablespoons tomato paste 1 tablespoon peanut oil 14 ounces (400 g) tofu
EXTRAS 4 grilled chapatis 8 tablespoons mint, cucumber and yogurt sauce 1 lemon, cut into wedges
1. For the skewers, blend the yogurt with the remaining ingredients, except the tofu, in a food processor or blender.
2. Cut the tofu into 1½-inch (4 cm) cubes and add them to the marinade. Marinate for at least 4 hours in the refrigerator.
3. Thread the cubes onto metal skewers and cook over indirect heat with the lid closed for 10 minutes. Turn the skewers over and cook for another 8 minutes. Baste with the leftover marinade.
4. Serve the skewers with the chapatis, mint, cucumber and yogurt sauce and lemon wedges.
Vegan Spare Ribs with BBQ glaze
Make 14 ribs Barbecuing time 15 minutes Preparation time 50 minutes
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast 1 tablespoon cornstarch 2 teaspoons garlic powder 1 teaspoon paprika 1 teaspoon ground fennel seed ¾ cup (175 ml) pineapple juice ½ apple, grated ½ red onion, grated 2 tablespoons soy sauce 3 tablespoons olive oil 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
EXTRAS ¾ cup (180 ml) basic barbecue sauce
2 tablespoons olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
2. Mix the vital wheat gluten, nutritional yeast, cornstarch, garlic powder, paprika, fennel seed, pineapple juice, apple, onion, soy sauce, and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Stir first with a wooden spoon and then knead well by hand.
3. Spread the dough over 9 x 13-inch (23 x 33 cm) baking sheet lined with parchment paper and press firmly with the back of your hand. Cut vertically down the middle and then make six cuts across the dough.
4. Mix the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and mustard until smooth. Brush evenly over the seitan and bake for 35 minutes. Then let cool.
5. Mix the barbecue sauce with the oil and brush evenly over the spareribs.
6. Sear the brushed side for 4 minutes over direct heat, then turn the ribs over and finish cooking them over indirect heat with the lid closed for 10 minutes.
Seitan Steaks with lemon & maple syrup glaze
Makes 4 steaks Barbecuing time 15 minutes Preparation time 1 hour hours
FOR THE STEAKS :
1¼ cups (150 g) vital wheat gluten 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast 1 tablespoon cornstarch 1½ teaspoons salt 1 teaspoon black pepper 1 teaspoon paprika ¼ beet, roughly chopped 2 tablespoons white vinegar 1 tablespoon prepared mustard 1 tablespoon neutral vegetable oil
FOR THE MARINADE:
¼ cup (60 ml) olive oil 2 tablespoons maple syrup 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest EXTRAS 4 tablespoons flavored butter
1. For the steaks, mix together the vital wheat gluten, nutritional yeast, cornstarch, salt, pepper and paprika. Blend the beet together with ⅔ cup (160 ml) water and the vinegar, mustard and oil. Combine the two mixtures and knead by hand into a smooth dough.
2. Roll out the dough thinly and fold it over a few times. Repeat the operation 2 or 3 times while pressing down firmly with the back of your hand. The more you press, the better the consistency.
3. Shape the dough into a large loaf and cut it into four steaks. Put the steaks in a steamer and steam for 45 minutes.
4. For the marinade, mix together the ingredients until smooth.
5. Add the hot steaks to the marinade and marinate for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
6. Grill the steaks over direct heat for 5 to 7 minutes each side, brushing from time to time with the leftover marinade. Serve with the butter.
Grilled Cheese Sandwiches with Vegan Mozzarella
Makes 4 sandwiches Barbecuing time 15 minutes Preparation time 15 minutes
Grilled cheese sounds so un-vegan. But they are also fabulous after grilling, and that way they guarantee you a challenge, right? 2 shallots 4 tablespoons olive oil 4 ounces (120 g) button mushrooms 7 oz (200 g) spinach 4 garlic cloves 8 cherry tomatoes 4 balls vegan mozzarella 8 thick slices sandwich bread 4 tablespoons bread and butter pickles
1. Finely dice the shallots. Put 2 tablespoons of the oil in a cast-iron frying pan and sweat the shallots for 2 minutes over indirect heat. Slice the mushrooms and add them to the shallots. Leave for another 2 minutes to soften.
2. Coarsely chop the spinach, mince the garlic and half the tomatoes. Add them all to the pan and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring often.
3. Slice the mozzarella. Brush four slices of bread with the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and cover each with the spinach mixture, mozzarella slices and 1 tablespoon pickles, then top with the remaining slices of bread.
4. Grill the sandwiches over direct heat for 3 minutes each side, then place them over indirect heat for 8 minutes for the cheese to melt.
The eight recipes that we have provided here will enable you to present your bbq guests with a wonderful assortment of grilled non-meat foods that they will absolutely love.
Who knows, it may even convert some of them to veganism!