This is a reader-supported website. By clicking on product links, you help us keep producing independent objective analysis at no cost to you. Thanks for your support!
- 1 5 Great Barbeque Grills
- 2 Types of Barbecue Grills
- 3 Natural Gas vs. Propane – Which is the Best Gas?
- 4 Things to Ask When Buying a Propane Grill
- 5 Reviewing the Top Propane Grills
- 5.1 Weber 45010001 Spirit II E-310 (Editor’s Choice)
- 5.2 Weber 51040001 Q1200 Liquid Propane Grill (best tabletop propane grill)
- 5.3 Char-Broil Performance 300 Propane Gas Grill (best under $250)
- 5.4 Blackstone Tabletop Grill (budget-friendly pick)
- 5.5 Char-Broil Performance 550 5-Burner Cabinet Liquid Propane Gas Grill
- 6 What If What You Really Need is a Large Griddle?
- 7 Ever Heard of Infrared Cooking?
- 8 Conclusion
- 9 Best Propane Grill FAQ
5 Great Barbeque Grills
A barbecue is one of the best ways to enjoy delicious grilled food while giving your family, friends, and guests the best you can offer. That’s why a high-quality grill is so important. If you’re looking for the best one, you can cut to the chase and read the review of the best propane grill for the money by clicking here.
Finding the right liquid propane unit, though, is fairly time-consuming and demands some research that most of us prefer not to bother with. So, in this post, we will talk about gas grills, and specifically about why a liquid propane gas grill is the best choice, along with giving you some smart picks that you can choose from. But first, let’s look at your choices as to types of BBQ grills.
Types of Barbecue Grills
First, let’s take a quick look at what your options are, broadly speaking, their advantages and disadvantages.
Charcoal grills and wood-fired grills especially are the most natural way to cook. Hey, humans have been using wood fires for the past 100,000 years, after all. The problem with both wood and charcoal is threefold.
- They both take up a lot of room and are the least efficient
- Both create smoke, which makes the food taste great but makes for an unpleasant experience when you have to breathe it. (Not so good for your lungs, either)
- Food cooked over wood and charcoal create cancer-causing agents in the food itself. (1)
Pellet grills also more accurately called pellet smokers are becoming more popular; however, they:
- Require electricity, which may not be so convenient, unless you have a long electric cord
- They’re meant more for smoking than for grilling burgers or hot dogs
- Generally, more expensive than a liquid propane gas grill
- Are harder to maintain–more moving parts
Electric Grills do a great job, and are worthy of their own detailed review, however (2):
- Food doesn’t have any ‘smoky flavor,’ which even a propane flame gives
- You need to be near an electrical outlet, which may be a bit tricky in your back yard
Natural Gas vs. Propane – Which is the Best Gas?
Both of these are widely used and for a good reason. They burn cleanly and cook well. However, propane is a better value for an outdoor gas grill because it burns hotter and more efficiently than natural gas. So, there you have it. Propane BBQ grills are a great choice.
Things to Ask When Buying a Propane Grill
Here are some questions to ask yourself to make a great purchase.
What’s your budget?
Your budget should range from as low as $80 to as much as $500. Many BBQ grills will provide excellent value. It just depends on the size and features you want versus what you can afford. Choose what you need and don’t max out your credit card to get all the bells and whistles.
How much cooking space do you have?
It’s one thing to decide how much you want to spend for a propane grill, but quite another to consider how much cooking space you have. Whether you are looking to keep the grill in the backyard for hosting barbecue parties, or set it up in the kitchen, or even use for cookouts and tailgate parties, check whether the size of your grill matches your cooking space. Also, consider if you want your grill to have storage space. Plus, each grill has a certain number of square inches of cooking space to do perfect grilling.
Take into account any other things you’ll need as well, such as prep tables, serving tables, and so on. Even if you can afford a bigger grill, plan your cooking space before buying your grill.
How much heat do you want in terms of BTUs?
Heat is calculated in terms of BTUs. It shows how much heat the grill can produce. As a rule of thumb, go for the formula of 80 BTUs per square inch of the cooking area.
What features do you need in the propane grill?
The number and types of features greatly depend on how much you spend. Try to identify the reasons why you are considering a particular unit. If a model satisfies most of them, then it is definitely a worthy choice.
Reviewing the Top Propane Grills
Now that you have decided that a gas grill is best for you, and that liquid propane gas is your fuel of choice, take a look at this list of top 5 best propane grills for the money in 2020.
If you search for ‘Propane Gas Grill,’ you’ll get 5000 results! But don’t worry, every unit here is added after an extended research process. Let’s check each one now. Take a look at this convenient comparison chart.Invalid table id.
Weber 45010001 Spirit II E-310 (Editor’s Choice)
- Boasts the GS4 grilling system with improved infinity ignition, burners, porcelain-enameled Glamorizer Bars, and grease Management system
- Porcelain-enameled, cast iron cooking grates
- 529 Square inches of cooking space over three burners. Left Table down width - 42 inches
- 30, 000 BTU-per-hour input main burners with fuel gauge
- Open cart design with six tool hooks and two large wheels.Built-in lid thermometer
We believe this candidate tops the list as the best value. It is an upgraded version of Weber’s previous model that has provided solid performance. This model is very easy to clean and use, even if you are using it for the first time.
It comes in two colors: black or ivory and has an open cart construction having two big wheels and six tool hooks for your cooking convenience. However, it does have four lid colors: black, sapphire, blue, and white.
With a power of 30,000 BTU per hour, cooking happens quite quickly and effectively. Furthermore, the presence of a grease management system makes cleaning easier and convenient. It uses its unique GS4 Grilling System to grill evenly and consistently. You’ll really enjoy using this Weber Spirit Grill! It is about as perfect as you can get.
Opinions vary on how easy this is to put together, with some customers saying they did it in 30 minutes and others having to hire a handyman to do it. So, this should be a consideration. If you are handy, no problem. If not, maybe get a handyman to do it for you.
Its GS4 grilling system, makes this propane grill perform well. Plus, the temperature controls are easy to learn. On top of that, the ignition makes it easy to fire up.
- Three porcelain cast iron grill grates on the grill surface for easy cleaning
- Warming rack above the burners keeps cooked food warm
- A fuel gauge for your propane tank shows how much you have left
- Easy connection for your tank to the unit
- Convenient control knobs
- Extremely compact and sleek design
- Equipped with an easy to understand the scale
- Easy to clean grill system
- Even heat ability
- It may be difficult for some people to put together
Weber 51040001 Q1200 Liquid Propane Grill (best tabletop propane grill)
- One Stainless Steel Burner Produces 8500 BTU-Per-Hour To Heat 189 Square-Inch Total Cooking Area
- Porcelain-Enameled Cast-Iron Cooking Grates And Cast Aluminum Lid And Body
- Built-in lid thermometer, folding side tables, glass-reinforced nylon frame and removable catch pan
- Dimensions - lid closed and tables out (inches): 15.5 H x 40.9 W x 16.5 D. Easy-Start Electronic Ignition And Infinite Control Burner Valve Settings
- Uses Disposable 14.1 Or 16.4 oz LP Cylinder (Sold Separately) and fully Assembled Out Of Box
Do you need a grill for outings and travel? If yes, then this unit definitely needs your attention, thanks to its portable construction and Weber brand name. It has a stainless steel body and sold at a very reasonable price.
Choice of Colors:
- and titanium
- Portable grill is capable of producing the heat of 8,500 BTU
- Cooking area of 189 square inches
- Cast aluminum lid and body
- Porcelain-enameled cast-iron cooking grates
- Nylon frame
- Built-in lid thermometer
- Using this unit is quite convenient both indoors as well as outdoors in the same way
- It is also considered the best portable grill for RV camping
The most positive thing that you need to know about this amazing unit is it’s delivered fully assembled. There is nothing you have to do other than using it directly, right out of the box. So, it is an assembly free propane grill.
With a heat capacity of 8,500 BTUs, it cooks the food quickly, as well as evenly. Additionally, the controls are quite simple and easy to use, thanks to the push-button electronic ignition. There is also a built-in temperature gauge that ensures you can enjoy a perfect temperature control.
This tabletop grill is quite light when compared with similar models available in the market. The Weber Q1200, equipped with a cast aluminum lid and body, ensures that no rusting occurs. Also, it’s solid and sturdy enough to last a long time.
- Exceptional temperature control
- Crafted with a completely non-stick grill surface
- Cleaned with minimal effort
- Completely resistant against wind
- Doesn’t come with a lid latch
- A little bit difficult to adjust the heat for first-timers
Char-Broil Performance 300 Propane Gas Grill (best under $250)
- 2-burner, 24,000-BTU Cabinet Gas Grill
- 300 square inches of primary cooking on porcelain-coated cast iron grates, plus 100 square inch swing-away rack with porcelain-coated grates
- Stainless steel lid and UFC provide stylish durability, and features a lid-mounted temperature gauge for added heat control.Cooking System:Convectional
- Electronic ignition for fast and reliable startups. Metal side shelves fold down when not in use.
- Convenient access storage cabinet to store propane tank and accessories. Grill sits on 4 casters, two of which lock for mobility and stability.
The next unit is this amazing model from the Char-Broil brand that is a terrific option for budgets in the $250 range. It’s loaded with great features such as:
- 300 square inches of cooking space
- Stainless steel lid
- 100 square inch warming rack
- Stainless steel burners
- Metal side shelves
- Roomy cabinet
- Caster for ease of movement
- Temperature gauge right on the lid
- Electronic ignition
- Removable grease pan
The two metal side tables in the unit ensure that you have enough space for keeping accessories like plates, utensils, etc. The high-quality stainless steel grill can last for many years.
Besides that, the electronic ignition is powered using AAA batteries. Also, it comes with a removable grease pan that makes cleaning easy and convenient.
If you are a professional or are handy with tools, then the Char-Broil 300 is fairly easy to assemble. Most people can put it together in 1 to 2 hours by following the instruction manual. However, having a partner can help to set it up, too.
Its 24,000 BTU capacity powered by two stainless steel burners
You will be amazed at its durable, sturdy construction; we found a few customer complaints. As we have already explained, the hefty cabinet for storing accessories can be very handy while cooking.
- The very spacious cooking surface
- Capable of handling heat consistently
- Provides complete value relative to its cost
- Highly durable stainless steel design
- Takes a little time to put together
- Sometimes grills unevenly
Blackstone Tabletop Grill (budget-friendly pick)
- Convenient and portable - this portable grill is built with an easy to use electric igniter, uses convenient 1 pound propane bottles for fuel, and has a built in grease catcher. Perfect for camping, Tailgating, Road trips, hunting and everyday outdoor use
- Easy to store - simply store the griddle top upside down on top of the griddle body After use to save space
- No hassle cleanup - Blackstone makes cleanup a breeze with this table top gas Griddle; simply wipe it off with a paper towel. No fuss cooking allows you more time to enjoy the outdoors
- Spacious cooking surface - This premium Blackstone griddle offers 260 square inches (15.25in x 17in) of heavy duty cooking surface for versatility and durability
- Fast and even heating - this grill has a stainless Steel "H" Burner that heats up fast! The "H" Shape offers even heat distribution and Fast cooking with a 12, 000 BTU heat output
Are you looking for a high-quality unit at a budget-friendly price? That’s why this top-class tabletop grill is included in this review. It looks great and does the job while not setting you back several hundred dollars.
It is a premium and portable version that works using convenient electrical flame ignition. A grease catcher makes cleaning easier. You can use this unit for traveling thanks to lightweight construction and portability. Think of this as your picnic, camping, and tailgate party cooking companion.
Its single stainless steel H burner heats up quickly and evenly. The unit also has an output of 12,000 BTU heat for cooking most foods. Safe to say, it’s a brilliant choice if you’re trying to economize, or you need a convenient travel grill.
For your convenience, you get the Blackstone Tabletop Grill completely assembled. So, if assembling components is not for you, this could be a great choice. You can use it straight from the box and enjoy comfortable cooking.
Cooking on this Blackstone propane grill will be very enjoyable, and you will love each second of it. The issues related to traditional grills get eliminated due to the presence of its top-grade griddle. You can cook a variety of things like pancakes, eggs, bacon, and sausages. To our surprise, the griddle performs as well as many of its high-cost propane grill competitors.
This sleekly designed unit comes with a built-in drip cup for gathering grease. This exceptional unit can fit perfectly in a modern kitchen. Additionally, the rolled steel griddle keeps maintenance to the minimum.
- Extremely simple & convenient to store
- Hassle-free cleaning griddle
- Equipped with solid stainless steel burner
- Compactly designed portable propane grill
- A little bit sensitive to certain weather conditions
- The small cooking surface might be an issue for some buyers
Char-Broil Performance 550 5-Burner Cabinet Liquid Propane Gas Grill
- 5-Burner, 45,000-btu cabinet gas grill with 10,000-btu lidded side burner
- 550 square inches of primary cooking on porcelain-coated cast iron grates plus 205 square inches of secondary cooking on porcelain-coated swing-away rack
- Stainless steel lid, handle, control panel fascia and cabinet provide style and durability;Side Shelf Material: Black Painted Steel
- Large metal side shelves offer added prep and work space. Electronic ignition for fast and reliable startups.
- Removable grease pan for quick and simple cleaning. Cabinet has two doors for easy access to storage area.
On paper, the Char-Broil 550 looks like a great choice. It’s got more heat capacity and more grilling area than its Char-Broil 300 cousin. It has the storage cabinet and side table, like its cousin. For these reasons, it appears to be price comparably higher, reasonably enough. That makes it convenient to store accessories.
The concern is that a number of customers are not so satisfied with it. Several noted that it arrived damaged, others that assembly was difficult. So, while it should be a great grill, it may be a bit risky to get this particular one at this time.
Grill vs Griddle
Infrared vs Regular Grill
What If What You Really Need is a Large Griddle?
If you really need a large griddle, which can do more than just grilling food, here is an option that you may not be aware of and want to consider.
First, if you want a more versatile cooker for larger groups, and want to be able to cook, not just grillable foods like steak, fish, burgers, and so on but also eggs, pancakes and such, then you may want to get a larger traditional griddle. For that reason, here is a large size Blackstone Griddle that cooks everything, uses propane, and is a joy to use.
Blackstone 36 inch Outdoor Flat Top Gas Griddle Station – 4-burner
- NEW FEATURES - This unit comes equipped with Blackstone's new and improved side shelf giving the user a removable cutting board, convenient paper towel holder, and strategically placed trash bag hooks. PLUS Blackstone's new rear grease management system to help eliminate mess.
- RESTAURANT STYLE COOKING - With 720sq inches of flat top grilling, this griddle is perfect for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Cook eggs, pancakes, quesadillas, grilled cheese, steak, potatoes, teppanyaki style foods and more. Also enjoy a bottom shelf, side shelf and the NEW side shelf with cutting board, paper towel holder and trash bag hooks.
- REPLACE YOUR STANDARD GRILL - Replace your grill or BBQ with a Blackstone griddle and never look back! This grill is simple to use and easy to assemble, so you'll be cooking in no time. Eliminate the hassle of kerosene, charcoal and matches; This grill includes an easy start, battery powered push button ignition. With the simple push of a button your griddle is ready to go! Take the headache away from outdoor cooking and spend more time enjoying the outdoors
- HEAT RESISTANT HANDLE - The durable plastic handle is heat resistant allowing you to safely grab the handle bare handed. Plus, this high quality stainless steel construction can handle high heat, resists odors/stains and is dishwasher safe
- TRANSPORT WITH EASE - Easily wheel around your yard or transport from your backyard to the campsite thanks to the removable griddle top, fold up legs and four industrial strength caster wheels
This is a true restaurant-grade griddle for a very reasonable price. It’ll cook anything you want on its large four burner surface. It’s a very popular choice. It’s perfect for all kinds of cooking, whether you want to make steaks, sausages, and grillable items, or you want to fry eggs and pancakes. You can get full details by clicking here.
Ever Heard of Infrared Cooking?
In a nutshell, it:
- Cooks food more evenly
- Prevents flare-ups
- Makes for juicier food
You can watch the video on the listing. Just click the “Learn More” Button below and look for the video on the left side of the page.
Char-Broil 463370719 Performance TRU-Infrared 3-Burner Cart Style Gas Grill
- Exclusive stainless steel finish for increased style and durability
- TRU-Infrared cooking technology prevents flare-ups, delivers even-heat and cooks juicier food
- 450-square-inches of primary cooking space is great for most cookouts
- Porcelain-coated grates are durable, rust-resistant and easy-to-clean
- Reliable push-to-start electronic ignition and swing-a-way warming rack for added versatility
There you have it: You have a variety of choices in different price ranges. You even have choices of either 3 BBQ grills and two griddles, plus one that is probably not your best bet.
Preferences vary from one person to another, so click on the ‘Learn More’ button for full details, or the ‘CHECK PRICE’ button on the comparison table.
A grill or griddle can last you for years. These can serve you well, depending on your requirements.
Thanks for reading and Happy Grilling!
Best Propane Grill FAQ
What makes the best outdoor gas grill?
When looking for the best propane grill for outside, you want a good combination of exceptional performance, durability, usability, and value. Weber, for example, checks all these boxes. These grills have been designed with rust-proof cast aluminum, so it stays in good shape outdoors and are incredibly easy to use, clean, and maintain.
Can you use LPG for a BBQ grill labeled propane only?
LPG is a mixture of around 60 percent propane and 40 percent butane. While there isn’t much of a difference in their properties, you will find that the pressure of LPG is lower than propane. So, ultimately, LPG can be used safely because propane is an LPG.
What should be the flame color on your gas grill?
When you have a gas grill, the flame should be blue with yellow tips. If you find yellow flames that are uneven and quite large, then there may be a problem that will require you to replace different components of your grill.
Can you convert a propane gas grill to a natural gas grill?
If you are looking to convert a liquid propane grill to a natural gas grill, the best and safest way to do so is with a conversion kit you get directly from the manufacturer. Some propane grills already come equipped for this kind of change. When converting, the liquid propane gas hose currently on the propane grill, and the regulator must be removed.
What are flavorizer bars?
Weber gas grills are a good contender because they have a feature known as flavorizer bars. They are inverted v-shaped steel pieces that sit below the grates and above the burner tubes. They are there to help prevent debris from clogging up the burner tube ports of the propane grill.
How often should I clean my propane grill?
You should give your propane grill a good deep cleaning at least twice per year. You should also follow a regular cleaning and maintenance schedule for your grill every few months as well to make sure everything stays clean and in proper working order. Grease, marinades, and other debris can splatter and make their way through the grates, and this grease and debris can begin to pile up very quickly when it isn’t cleaned.
Does the grill design affect cooking performance?
When purchasing a propane grill, you need to consider heat distribution, varying temperatures, and flame flare-ups. Higher quality grills have unique features that can ultimately enhance the quality of the cooking while minimizing mistakes.
What are the benefits of cooking with propane gas?
Propane burns clean, and its emissions are low. Propane gas also heats up very quickly, so you don’t have to use as much to get the grill to the desired temperature. Another benefit is that propane produces less carbon monoxide and sulfur dioxide, which can prove to be harmful. Propane is also very inexpensive and is the perfect fuel for any budget.
What should I look for when buying a propane grill?
One of the biggest things people consider when purchasing the best propane grill is the price. Remember, you get what you pay for. Next, consider the fuel source. Propane is inexpensive and is a clean-burning fuel. Now consider the material of the grill.
The main portion of the grill is usually made from cast aluminum, stainless steel, coated cast iron, or sheet metal. You also want to see what the frame is made out of to avoid rusting. Then it is time to choose what features and size you want. Determine what you will be cooking and how many people you will be cooking for.</p
Last update on 2022-03-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API